Getting as little as 30 minutes of exercise a day immensely benefits not only the body but our mental well-being as well. It’s a fact that research has proven beyond doubt and something we have all known for a while now. Yet, when it comes to the actual exercising we have a go-to excuse not to, “I don’t have the time!” All of us are guilty of having said it at some point or the other.
Today we have put together a number of ways to incorporate some kind of physical activity into your daily routine. All we ask is that you develop the will to work out at every opportunity you get instead of finding excuses. Read on for more…
- Walk everywhere: Whether we are students, working individuals or stay at home ones, all of us face some form of commute in our daily lives. That’s your cue to ditch those two and four wheeled drives and put those legs you were given to their intended use, WALK. And since we are the blokes with no time, we DO NOT stroll. We brisk walk. To the bus stop, to the grocery store, to pick up the kids from school, basically everywhere that you can walk to, you do. You get your exercise; you get your Vitamin D and a little less pollution for the world. Not bad, we say!!
- Drop where you stand: Every day we find numerous instances where we have to stand and wait for a period of time. Waiting at the Xerox machine at work, waiting in line at the cafeteria, or the line at a grocery store, drop into a few squats, lunges, toe raises and throw in some stretches for good measure. People might think you are weird but why bother about what people think?
- No more being a couch Potato: We all have our favorite TV shows that we absolutely ‘have to’ watch every day. Just don’t sit down to watch it. Move the center table out of the way, make some space in front of the TV and get going. Push ups, jumping jacks, skip rope, crunches, weights, you can do it all. And if you happen to have a treadmill or an elliptical machine strategically facing your TV sets you are more than sorted. You have watched your show and gotten through your workout without even realizing it.
- Flashback Time: Playtime for your kids? Gather them all and teach them a game from your childhood and play along. Not only will it bring back wonderful memories for you, it will keep them away from those pesky gadgets and give you a fun workout. You have no kids of your own? I’m sure there are some in your neighbourhood who’d love to play with you. No Excuses!, remember?
- Reclaim your home: Remember the time when households would run according to our whims and not that of our maid? Well, bring back those times. People underestimate the amount of exercise household chores offer. Making the beds, dusting, mopping, loading the dishwasher, hanging the clothes to dry, washing the car, the list is endless… Go on, Exercise those chores away.
We hope we have given you a few ideas about how you can fit some physical activity into your daily routine. Like we said before one need only find the will to work out, the opportunities will present themselves. The possibilities are unlimited.